ATTENTION: WE NOW HAVE AN HOA MEMBERS ONLY SITE

IF YOU'RE AN HOA MEMBER PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEW SITE MONTEREYVILLAS.ORG

Recent Comments

Thursday, March 27, 2008

BEWARE!!! MAIL THIEF!!!

It saddens me to have to post information like this but this is a huge issues which residents need to be made aware of, I received this e-mail today from Joe of the Safety Committee :

Cyrus,

Could you please inform the Monterey Villa residents that we may be victims of mail theft. Yesterday Maria, our cleaning woman and resident, informed me that on Monday afternoon, a female resident observed an older man standing near the mailboxes for an unusual amount of time. The resident was in the laundry room so she decided to step outside to have a better look, as she walked outside she noticed numerous mailboxes open and the man stuffing envelopes into his jacket. She immediately realized that he was not a postman so she asked him what he was doing and he replied, "I'm changing the keys and locks on these mailboxes." The woman, who had been at the recent board meeting, knew nothing of the locks being changed so she went to find help. When she returned with one of the landscapers the man was gone.

Maria knew where the witness lived so I tried to contact her for an interview but she was not home. Today I contacted the United States Postal Inspection Service to report the incident. I was given an incident report number of CO36968270, and told that I would be contacted by either the USPIS or the FBI within a day to further investigate the issue. I will update you as soon as I hear something. In the meantime I would encourage all residents to check their mail and contact me if anything is suspected missing. I can be contacted by e-mail at jegiese@ocsd.org.

Joe
Safety Committee
If you notice anything or anyone suspicious please call 911.

4 COMMENTS:

blueprint said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
blueprint said...

Joe, this is really bad news! I don't want to alarm people but being a Criminologist and Statistics researcher, I know that mails are stolen because these thieves are hoping to find new and unsused checkbooks, credit cards, credit card applications, tax refund checks, etc. If we are to install cameras in MV, the first area to have it should be our mailbox area. When did this happen? I checked our mail last night and I thought it was unusual for my household to not get anything other than grocery store ads. The last time I picked-up mail was Monday.

Anonymous said...

Blueprint this happened on Monday afternoon, I'm waiting to hear back from authorities. If you want to talk more about the security cameras email me jegiese@ocsd.org.

amyr said...

Did anyone see which mailboxes he got into? We basically now have one box per building. It would be nice if the people in those buildings knew to be extra vigilant about looking for sensitive mail.

People may want to know you can put a "fraud alert" on your credit report if you suspect you have been a victim of identity theft. You can contact any one of the credit reporting agencies listed below (the one you choose to contact will let the other two know about the alert.)

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790