ATTENTION: WE NOW HAVE AN HOA MEMBERS ONLY SITE

IF YOU'RE AN HOA MEMBER PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEW SITE MONTEREYVILLAS.ORG

Recent Comments

Friday, February 8, 2008

No Parking!


Parking is becoming more and more of a problem as the new homeowners arrive. The free spaces have gone from abundant to extinct. Just a few months ago I was able to drive home and pick a nice spot close to my condo. Now I race home from work just so that I can try to secure a spot so that the Mrs. doesn't have to worry about parking out on the dreaded Wellington or Williams. I don't think anyone wants to park out there. I feel like when you do, your vehicle screams out to car thiefs "Break in here!"

At last months meeting the association described a proposed parking plan that could open up some spaces. Here is an overview of the plan.

  • Any vehicle parked in a free stall would be required to have a MV parking permit or would be subject to tow.
  • Each MV unit will receive only 1 parking permit, this means that if you have two vehicles the one not parked in your carport would be required to display a parking permit.
  • Valid Vehicle Registration would be required for all vehicles parked on the premises or would be subject to tow; thus eliminating those non operational vehicles from being stored in free parking stalls. Although I do not know if this rule will apply to vehicles parked in carports.
  • The use of the parking permit would be solely up to the homeowner. For instance, the homeowner could lend the permit to a guest or a neighbor.
I can't agree more with the proposed parking plan, Kudos to the board on this one.

7 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

What about if you are having guests over for dinner? If I don't want to park on Williams I certainly don't want my guests to have to do so in my stead. Is there a time limit before towing can occur from the open spots? Anyone know more about this type of situation?

Cyrus said...

I know how you feel Sarah, I have some over at least once a week. These rules are not set it stone yet so its a good question to bring up at the meeting. My guess is that as soon as someone calls to report a car without a permit the tow company will be minutes away. Tow companies make bank this way.

Anonymous said...

I am on the architectural & Rules and Regulations committee. The towing will not happen until after 9 at night. The driver would be in too much danger to do it any earlier. Also the rules will not be absolutely in effect until the permits are issued. Even then there will be a brief (about 15 day) grace period before things are strictly enforced. According CA vehicle code towing from the carports is allowed with 4 days notice for vehicles with expired tags. If someone you do not know is in your spot, you can call Pepe's Towing (signs are posted at each entrance) & when you provide proof that the spot is yours, you can have them towed immediately. The permit will not be necessary to have when you are in your carport.

Cyrus said...

Thanks for the info fooballrules,
it's great to see someone on the committee comment on these posts. Hopefully you keep contributing, as far as Pepe's Towing goes I'll try to put their phone number on the front page.

blueprint said...

I am having a problem with the parking spot next to mine -- no one owns this parking space because the unit it belongs to is still vacant. However, one of our neighbors regularly use this spot for visitors/outsiders who doesn't have respect for property. I had an encounter with a group of teenagers once because I caught them drinking beer and leaning on my car around 11:00 p.m. at night. The next day, I saw that my car's been keyed badly. After that, my car's been dented twice. Until this day, I still see different cars park in that spot but it seems like the visitors were from that one neighbor only.

My suggestion is to give each household 2 detachable parking permits. One that has our parking spot number, and the other one for guest parking.

This serves 2 purposes: First, we can avoid outsiders from parking in covered stalls that are non-owned. Second, the detachable parking permit that has a printed parking spot number can be our identification with the towing company should someone else use our space.

I want to emphasize the word "detachable" because my sister and I take turns in using our parking space. Certain days I park in our designated parking spot, and some days she is scheduled to use it instead.

Anonymous said...

PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING OVER NON-OWNED PARKING SPACES. SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. IF NOBODY OWNS THE SPACE, THEN NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PARK THERE. THE PROBLEM IS, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CLAIMS NON-OWNED PARKING SPACES AS THEIRS AND THEY EVEN GET UPSET WHEN SOMEONE ELSE PARK THERE.

Cyrus said...

WTF! Are you serious? This is ridiculous, I would like to know what parking spot. This is sure to come to an end as soon as the parking permits get enforced.