ATTENTION: WE NOW HAVE AN HOA MEMBERS ONLY SITE

IF YOU'RE AN HOA MEMBER PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEW SITE MONTEREYVILLAS.ORG

Recent Comments

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Oh My G'OSH

By: Ben Dayhoe

Back in November, a friend of mine was shopping at Kragen Auto Parts (Grand Avenue and Seventeenth Street) when he noticed the case for the spray paint was left unlocked.

Usually these cases are clearly labeled with signs that read something similar to, “Keep case locked at all times”–reminding employees to help keep loss at a minimum.


This past weekend while picking up a few things at OSH on Seventeenth Street, I noticed that one of the cases for the spray paint was left unlocked and unsupervised and wide open.

As I was finishing up my transaction at the register, I asked if I could speak with the (weekend) manager on duty. When she arrived at the front of the store, I notified her that the case was left unlocked and kindly asked if she could remind the employees to lock the door after the customer gets what they need from the case–you know, being that Santa Ana has somewhat of a tiny problem with graffiti.

The manager told me that the lock in question was a tricky one and that they have someone coming out this week to fix it. Hmm, it really didn’t seem all that tricky to lock when I did it with the tip of my shoe.

The next day I headed back to OSH to grab an item that somehow missed my initial list.

I walked past the aisle where the spray paint is located, stopped, turned around, and was shocked to see that a different section of the case was left wide open once again!


Again, with the tip of my shoe, I clicked the push-lock closed and secured the cabinet. I didn’t even bother asking for a manager this time.

The next day, I phoned OSH corporate headquarters where I shared my story and concerns with the representative. She notified me that this was unacceptable and that the district manager will be addressing this issue directly with the manager of the OSH on Seventeenth Street.

After reading about the graffiti problems occurring at the nearby Monterey Villas community, one can only hope that the folks at OSH remember that their carelessness affects all those around them.

OSH corporate headquarters can be reached at:
6450 Via Del Oro
San Jose, CA 95119
(408) 281-3500

This comment was left by nightlife, and I encourage everyone to keep their eyes out for situations like this:

"We were told at a neighborhood association meeting that the city's grafitti hotline and code enforcement numbers can also be used to report the paint seller violations.

A few citations and fines might help get that manager's attention."

Grafitti (877)786-7824
Code Enforcement (714)667-2780

2 COMMENTS:

Ben Dayhoe said...

I've since been back 3 times and every time, one of the cases were unlocked.

Argh.

Cyrus said...

This is BS, fines need to be enforced.